Monday, April 13, 2009

Rhubarb

It may have been the rhubarb of course. We found ourselves in a National Trust cafe on Saturday and they were serving a delicious creamy cheese-cake with rhubarb in a side dish. I could not resist it - cheese cake is usually off limits.

Then I looked at the rhubarb and could not remember whether it was on any lists. So I reasoned that rhubarb is like a leafy vegetable and leafy vegetables are mostly all right - lettuce, cabbage, spinach, sprouts, cauliflower but not broccoli. Not sure about rocket, the subject of another recent post, although I generally eat it without harm. I think I need to find my lists...

So I took a spoonful of rhubarb thinking of all the rhubarb fools it would allow me to eat. I don't think it was all right - my tongue swelled briefly - and I did not finish it.

RAS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello from someone who has allergies and had a bad reaction to "Aspirin". This placed me in the the "rare" pool of folks who are very allergic to, or very sensitive to Aspirin and all NSAIDS medications. SALICYLATE is found in foods, herbs and spices. This website also shares information on MSG (MSG is mostly used in Oriental Cooking) and Amine. If you are sensitive to Aspirin, you may be sensitive to MSG and should probably avoid it. Ask the Waitress/Waiter the next time you order and say "NO MSG please" I found these websites helpful. Copy and paste the web address into your browser.

SALICYLATE CONTENT IN FOODS LIST
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~ataraxy/Salicylates_list.html

SALICYLATES IN FOODS
http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/content/elimination-diet/salicylates.aspx

SALICYLATE SENSITIVITY
http://salicylatesensitivity.com./info3

WEB MD - Allergies Guide_ SALICYLATE ALLERGY
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/salicylate-allergy

You should ask your doctor what medication you can take. Zyrtec and Allegra are the two I was prescribed and use and they work for me. I take one Allegra a day right now and this helps my sensitivities and relieves the hives that might develop.

Take care now...from someone who understands. Marianne

RAS said...

Hi Marianne, Thanks for your comments. By MSG I guess you mean monosodium glutamate - that's an interesting observation because there does seem to be a general problem with Chinese food.

So far as medication goes I was lucky quite early on to be prescribed montelukast, which is much better than anti-histamines. You'll find quite a lot here about my experience with pills.
RAS